Friday, January 23, 2009

Pongal - The festival of Hopes

Palarayum Orungenaikum Neghizhavaikum Galagalapana Arthamulla Layamana festival is PONGAL. Yep – the most awaited festival by any human whether he is a student or a worker – anybody in TamilNadu will enthusiastically expect pongal for the joy, fun, tasty yummy food that fills the tummy but the pick of the lot will be the most awaited long vacation .

Being a traditional Tamilian, we have a practice of decorating the floor with colorful rangoli, the previous night itself. The preparations for this rangoli will start at least one week in prior to the festival. There will be a small competition between the neighbors as whose rangoli is the most sighted by the people who cross by. This year it was a big contrast as we didn’t prepare anything in prior. It was an on the spot work, yet I believe it looked as if it was a systematically planned act.

Our rangoli was almost complete, by when started the drizzling. We were standing out with the umbrella in hand, praying God, hoping it to be a passing cloud. The drizzles lasted for about 2 minutes. We were so happy and took couple of snaps and went to bed.

The next day morning, on Pongal I got up from the bed, came towards the Balcony with my hands on my eyes which were half opened and to my astonishment, I was dumbstruck. There wasn’t any mark of a rangoli on the floor. My eyes widened. I thought for a moment and came back with my spectacles –the same empty floor.

I rushed to my mom who was already upset because of the rain that lasted the entire night. Though there was no pre planning, the amount of work we shared to bring it out fussy is truly evident. I was very shocked and tears were waiting to rush out from my eyes. However my mom – the best consoler in the world convinced me and told all these are very common. Don’t worry; we will have a better rangoli tonight. I was slightly upset but then thought I could be more practical – after all “We must learn to reawaken and keep ourselves awake, not by mechanical aid, but by an infinite expectation of the dawn”.


Rangoli - Pongal




Rangoli- Maatu Pongal

No comments:

Post a Comment