Friday, January 23, 2009

The Biggest Dosa I ever made

To the ruler, the people are heaven; to the people, food is heaven”. Though I am not so crazy about eating but would always prefer to have food at the correct time. I also have a big passion towards cooking – especially the tiffin items whether it is a spicy & colorful north Indian side dish or a delicious & yummy south Indian recipe.

Whenever there is a choice, people prefer dosa over idly because of its crispness and also its texture despite the oil it holds. My mom told me the morning that there is enough dough and better you make dosa for lunch. I had some work in the morning and I returned home and was curious to make something unusual. So, I devised a plan. Why don’t I try for a large, huge dosa? - Like the one we get in the hotels. If I make ordinary dosa I will have to make the side dish – the most appropriate being a chatni. Whether it’s a coconut or tomato chatni it obviously eats time before which my hunger will eat me up. So I thought of making onion dosa which doesn’t require a side dish to accompany.

Accordingly I fried some onions in a pan with green chilies, roasted it brown. This task was bit easier compared to the really challenging chore of making a big dosa. My mom always used to tell me that the dough should be very thin so that dosa would be crispy as well as tasty. So I made the dough so thin that I was too frightened if the dough would by pass the tava and come out of its rim like a water fall.

I was so scared that I heated the dosa tava and when it became hot I switched off the gas stove and then started to pour the dough over it. I then spread it evenly and with lots of anticipation, I switched on the gas stove. The fire came out of the burner with the same intensity as the hopes that flew out of my conscience.


To my bolt from the blue, the dosa was too good .I was really concerned in case if it sticks to the tava then the dough will become waste and most of all the scolding I had to get? L In contrast to all my worries the dosa was perfect like the one served in hotels and very crispy too.

Though the post effects of cleaning the place and the reproach I got from my mom for the oil I spilt on floor were tedious, the rest all was awesome and I was so convinced and patted myself for making such a nice delicious recipe without any pre experience.

The crispy dosa on fire



2 comments:

  1. Wasn't it you who wondered as to how I penned a post solely on Pongal last year? ;)

    ReplyDelete